Start writing here...
Black Barley Beef Soup
A hearty and wholesome beef soup finished with a hint of balsamic vinegar. Ultrasperse 3 gives the soup an appealing velvety texture and sheen.
by Jodi MacKinnon (QFG)
- 1 tbsp grape seed oil
- 2 cups diced stewing beef
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup carrots (chopped)
- 1/2 cup celery (sliced)
- 1 tbsp garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp rosemary (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 3/4 cup black barley (rinsed)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp beef base
- 10 cups water
- 2 tsp ultrasperse 3
- 1/2 cup parsley (finely chopped)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. When hot, add the beef and onion and sauté until the beef is seared.
- Add the carrots, celery, garlic, rosemary, cajun seasoning, black barley and sauté for 4 minutes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and beef base and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add the cold water and ultrasperse 3 and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the beef and barley are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
About Jodi MacKinnon (QFG)
Qualifirst’s COO, Jodi loves cooking and baking, taking raw ingredients and turning them into something that is absolutely delicious, with just the right flavour balance, is one of her favourite pastimes.