Start writing here...
- Amarena cherries (for garnish)
- PASTRY CREAM:
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Almond Extract
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 cup Milk
- 3 Egg Yolks
- CHOUX PASTRY:
- 1 cup Water
- 5 tbsp Butter
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 salt Salt
- 1/2 tsp Lemon Extract
- Grapeseed Oil for frying
- Powdered Sugar (for garnish)
- Create the pastry cream, in a bowl, add egg yolks and mix and set aside.
- Heat the milk in a medium saucepan and add vanilla and almond extract. Once it has come to a boil, remove from heat and let it slightly cool.
- Pour the milk into the egg yolk mixture while whisking to dilute the mixture.
- Place the milk and egg mixture back to the saucepan and turn on low heat. Gently stir until thickened.
- Remove from heat and pour into a container and allow it to cool. Once cooled, cover and leave in the fridge.
- To create the choux pastry, in a saucepan on medium head, pour water, butter, sugar, lemon extract and salt. Stir until butter has melted.
- When the liquid begins to boil, pour all the flour once and continue to stir until mixture . Turn off the heat and transfer to a bowl.
- Whisk together eggs and add a little to the dough and mix with a wooden spoon. Make sure eggs are completely absorbed and batter is thick and smooth.
- Heat oil in a large pan and bring the temperature for about 330°F.
- Pour the batter onto a piping bag and pipe into a tight round coil (circle without a hole) on parchment paper. Next, cut squares out of the parchment paper, around the zeppole. So that each zeppole is on its own square.
- Place the zeppole face down in the oil. After 5 seconds, use tongs to lift off the parchment paper from the zeppole. Flip the zeppole with a slotted spoon after 3 minutes. It will cooked through after 5 minutes or once the entire pastry is golden brown.
- Remove the zeppole from oil and place on a tray lined with paper towel. Repeat process for the remaining zeppole.
- Remove the Pastry Cream from the fridge and pour into a piping bag. Pipe a dollop of pastry cream in the center of the zeppole and top it off with amarena cherries and dust with powdered sugar.
About Jodi MacKinnon (QFG)
Qualifirst’s COO, Jodi loves cooking and baking, taking raw ingredients and turning them into something that is absolutely delicious, with just the right flavour balance, is one of her favourite pastimes.
dans Recipe Index