Start writing here...
Pesto Grano Risotto with Poached Egg
An ancient grain from Southern Italy with a toasted wheat flavour and a chewy texture similar to barley. Cooked and tossed with pesto and topped with a poached egg it makes a delicious vegetarian main course.
by Jodi MacKinnon (QFG)
- Put the spinach, garlic, pine nuts and lemon juice into a blender and process. On medium speed, slowly incorporate the olive oil and season.
- Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add the shallot and cook until soft and translucent.
- Add grano and garlic and cook a few minutes longer to bring out the grains nutty flavour.
- Add white wine, cook for a few seconds and then add the stock.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, adding small amounts of water if needed.
- Five minutes before the grano risotto is finished, add the spinach, 2 Tbsp butter and pesto.
- Bring a pot of water to boil on high heat. Reduce the heat to low and add the white vinegar. Crack the eggs into the water, one at a time, swirling with a spoon after each addition. Poach for 3 minutes.
- Garnish the risotto with lemon zest, top with a poached egg and serve.
About Jodi MacKinnon (QFG)
Qualifirst’s COO, Jodi loves cooking and baking, taking raw ingredients and turning them into something that is absolutely delicious, with just the right flavour balance, is one of her favourite pastimes.