Start writing here...
Pesto Grano Risotto with Poached EggMarch 21, 2017 by Jodi MacKinnon (QFG) Leave a Comment
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
An ancient grain from Southern Italy with a toasted wheat flavour and a chewy texture similar to barley. Cooked and tossed with pesto and topped with a poached egg it makes a delicious vegetarian main course.
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup Arbequina extra virgin olive oil
- Put the spinach, garlic, pine nuts and lemon juice into a blender and process. On medium speed, slowly incorporate the olive oil and season.
- Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add the shallot and cook until soft and translucent.
- Add grano and garlic and cook a few minutes longer to bring out the grains nutty flavour.
- Add white wine, cook for a few seconds and then add the stock.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, adding small amounts of water if needed.
- Five minutes before the grano risotto is finished, add the spinach, 2 Tbsp butter and pesto.
- Bring a pot of water to boil on high heat. Reduce the heat to low and add the white vinegar. Crack the eggs into the water, one at a time, swirling with a spoon after each addition. Poach for 3 minutes.
- Garnish the risotto with lemon zest, top with a poached egg and serve.