Start writing here...
Traditional Black Forest CakeNovember 13, 2014 by Jodi MacKinnon (QFG) Leave a Comment
Prep Time45 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time1 hrs 15 mins
Guinette brandied cherries make this traditional Black Forest Cake special.
- Preheat an oven to 350ºF. Grease a 12" cake pan.
- In a stand mixer, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt to soft peaks.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla sugar.
- Whisk in the milk, cacao, flour, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a cake tester comes out of the centre clean. Cool completely and slice horizontally into three layers.
- In a stand mixer, whip the cream with the icing sugar and vanilla to stiff peaks.
- Drain the cherries and reserve the juice.
- Brush the first cake layer with the juice and cover with whipped cream. Press some cherries into the cream. Repeat for another layer.
- Frost the outside of the cake with whipped cream and garnish with chocolate shavings and cherries.
- Refrigerate before serving.