Start writing here...
Orange, Black Barley and Spinach Salad
Black barley and orange segments create a spectacular presentation in this protein-rich salad.
by Jodi MacKinnon (QFG)
- Put black barley in a pot with the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Strain and cool.
- Blanch and refresh the asparagus.
- Segment the oranges by slicing off the top and bottom. Cut the skin from the flesh by letting the knife follow the contour of the orange. Cut orange segments from the membrane and squeeze the juice out of the remaining pulp to use in the dressing.
- Combine the barley, asparagus, orange segments, chickpeas, and spinach.
- For the dressing, whisk the orange juice, honey, white wine vinegar, and extra virgin olive oil together.
- Pour some of the dressing over the salad and toss.
- Serve the salad garnished with goat cheese.
About Jodi MacKinnon (QFG)
Qualifirst’s COO, Jodi loves cooking and baking, taking raw ingredients and turning them into something that is absolutely delicious, with just the right flavour balance, is one of her favourite pastimes.