Start writing here...
Grain Salad with Miso-Orange Marinated NuckhenApril 24, 2018 by Jodi MacKinnon (QFG) Leave a Comment
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time40 mins
A gorgeous vegan salad as a starter or a healthy meal. It's packed with protein from grains and the tender, meat-like protein nuckhen. Its fresh citrus flavour invigorates the taste buds.
- 1/2 cup farro
- 1/4 cup black barley
- 1/4 cup sorghum
- 2 cup arugula , washed and dried
- 1/2 cup red or orange peppers , sliced
- 1 orange , zested
- Whisk the miso, maca and orange juice together in a bowl and add the nuckhen. Marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Put the farro, black barley, and sorghum in a small pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the grains are tender. Drain the grains and chill.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together the white wine vinegar and blood orange extract in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil and season.
- Drain the nuckhen. Heat the grapeseed oil in a small pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the nuckhen and sear it on all sides. Reduce the heat if it starts to burn.
- In a large bowl, toss the cooked grains, arugula, and peppers with the dressing. Top with the nuckhen and garnish with grated orange zest.