Start writing here...
Dark Chocolate, Cocoa Nib and Sea Salt Ice CreamMay 18, 2015 by Jodi MacKinnon (QFG) Leave a Comment
Prep Time40 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time1 hr
This dark and bittersweet ice cream with crunchy cocoa nibs and flakes of sea salt is a chocolate lover's dream.
- In a heavy-bottom saucepan, bring milk to a simmer over medium heat.
- Whisk together sugar, cocoa powder and ice cream stabilizer in a large bowl, ensuring no lumps of cocoa remain. Whisk in egg yolks.
- Temper the egg yolk mixture by adding 1 cup hot milk while whisking vigorously. Repeat, adding another cup of hot milk.
- Pour the yolk mixture into the remaining hot milk. Using a spoon, cook the custard base over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until it thickens enough to coat the spoon. Do not let it get too hot or the eggs will curdle.
- Remove from the heat, add the dark chocolate and stir to melt.
- Strain it into a large clean bowl and cool to room temperature, stirring often to prevent a skin from forming. This base can be prepared in advance and refrigerated until needed.
- Churn in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Just before it finishes churning, add the salt and cocoa nibs. Transfer it to a container and freeze for several hours before serving.