Start writing here...
Vegan White Beans with Smoked Nuckhen RecipeApril 24, 2018 by Jodi MacKinnon (QFG) Leave a Comment
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Herbs de Provence and hickory give this vegan meat substitute plenty of savoury flavours. Creamy white beans and golden, tender nuckhen are a perfect contrast.
Savoury White Beans
- Combine the olive oil and liquid smoke hickory in a bowl and toss with the nuckhen. Let marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Drain the lingot beans and put in a small pot with the herbs de Provence. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Simmer until tender, approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
- Half-way through cooking, add the pearl onions to the beans. When the onions and beans are tender, drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- In a small pot, over medium-high heat, reduce the reserved bean cooking liquid until slightly thickened, and season.
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the kale and garlic and cook until wilted. Add the beans and onions, season, and heat through.
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the nuckhen and sear on all sides.
- Serve a portion of the savoury white beans with some of the reduced liquid. Top with the golden nuckhen and serve.