Start writing here...
Bayou Grain Medley Paella RecipeJune 05, 2017 by Jodi MacKinnon (QFG) Leave a Comment
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr
A delicious paella that fuses Spanish and Asian flavours. Made with a versatile and nutritious rice and grain blend that includes Louisiana popcorn rice, split peas, and millet.
- 2 cups Japgok-Bap Bayou Medley
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cooking onion , sliced
- 1 cup celery , diced
- 2 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts , diced
- 3 chorizo sausage , sliced
- 1 cup okra , sliced
- 2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1-28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup coriander , finely chopped
- Rinse the Japgok-Bap Bayou Medley under cold water until there’s no starch running out of it. Put it into a bowl, cover with cold water and soak for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onions and celery and cook until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Add the diced chicken breast and the chorizo sausage and cook for 3 to 5 minutes to begin cooking the chicken.
- Stir in the okra and cook for 2 or 3 minutes longer.
- Add the cayenne, cumin, and season with salt and pepper.
- Drain the Japgok-Bap Bayou Medley and add to the pot.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to coat the ingredients.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, adding water if necessary.
- Garnish with coriander and serve.