Start writing here...
Sweet Potato Dumpling Turkey SoupSeptember 22, 2022 by Jodi MacKinnon (QFG) Leave a Comment
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
Cuisine: North American
- For the Sweet Potato Dumplings:
- 1 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Yellow Cornmeal
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 4 tbsp Butter , melted
- 3/4 cup Water
- 3 tbsp Buttermilk Powder
- 1/4 cup Mashed Sweet Potato
- 1 tsp Salt
- For the Turkey Soup:
- 2 tsp Turkey Rub
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 3 medium Carrots , peeled, diced
- 4 cups Water
- 1 tbsp Chicken Stock Mix
- 2 lbs Turkey Meat , cooked, shredded
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- To make the soup: In a pot heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent.
- Add carrots and cook for about 3 minutes or until tender. Add the Turkey Rub and turkey meat and cook until fragrant for about 1 minute.
- Pour in the water and Chicken Stock Mix. Stir everything together until fully incorporated. Reduce heat and cover the pot and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- To make the Sweet Potato Dumplings: In a bowl or cup, add the buttermilk powder and water and mix to reconstitute.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, butter, mashed sweet potato, salt and the reconstituted buttermilk. Stir with a wooden spoon until combined (do not over mix). Let it sit for 2 minutes for the baking powder to activate (mixture should get fluffy).
- Using a large spoon on scoop, drop 3 tablespoons of the dumpling dough onto the hot soup. Do this step until all the mixture has been used.
Cover the pot and allow to simmer for another 15-20 minutes for dumplings to cook.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowl and serve immediately. Enjoy!