Start writing here...
Porchetta and Asparagus Freekeh Risotto
Freekeh—pronounced free-kah—is wheat harvested when young and green. It has a firm, chewy texture and a distinctly earthy, nutty and slightly smoky flavour that's perfect in this risotto.
by Jodi MacKinnon (QFG)
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 shallot (finely chopped)
- 1 cup freekeh
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups chicken (vegetable or beef stock)
- Water (as needed)
- 1/4 cup porchetta (diced)
- 1 cup asparagus (sliced on the diagonal)
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add the shallot and cook until soft and translucent.
- Add freekeh and garlic and cook a few minutes longer to bring out the grains nutty flavour.
- Add white wine, cook for a few seconds and then add the stock.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, adding small amounts of water if needed.
- Five minutes before the freekeh risotto is finished, add the porchetta, asparagus, lemon juice, 2 Tbsp butter, and most of the lemon zest and parmesan.
- Garnish with parmesan and lemon zest and serve.
About Jodi MacKinnon (QFG)
Qualifirst’s COO, Jodi loves cooking and baking, taking raw ingredients and turning them into something that is absolutely delicious, with just the right flavour balance, is one of her favourite pastimes.