Start writing here...
Black Garlic and Honey Ice Creamjuin 08, 2015 by Jodi MacKinnon (QFG) Leave a Comment
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
A real treat at the end of dinner, black garlic gives this ice cream notes of toffee and chocolate flavour.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine milk, cream, honey, 1-1/2 Tbsp of sugar, and 1 Tbsp of black garlic. Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise, scrape out the seeds and add to the pot along with the pod.
- Over medium-high heat bring to just below a boil, stirring often. Remove from the heat, cover, and let steep for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk the remaining sugar with the ice cream stabilizer. Add the egg yolks and beat until thick and pale, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Temper the yolk mixture by whisking in 1/2 cup of the steeped milk. Repeat two more times. Whisk in the remaining milk and return the custard base to the saucepan.
- Over medium-low heat, and stirring constantly, cook the custard until thick enough to coat a spoon.
- Strain and refrigerate, covered, until completely cool.
- Churn the base in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturers instructions. When just about finished add the remaining 1 Tbsp of black garlic.